Anglican Church Planting

April 24, 2018

Where Anglicans Aren’t

The Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) has been on a church planting mission since its founding in 2009. While Anglican church planting doesn’t compare with larger, more resourced groups like the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptist Convention, for a relatively small denomination it has done undeniably well.

As of June 2017, the denomination listed 1,004 churches across the U.S., Mexico and Canada. ACNA now has at least some presence in every U.S. state except for North Dakota and every Canadian province except for Prince Edward Island. Always Forward, the church planting initiative of ACNA, has provided a central resource, and Canon Dan Alger has an interview about this work.

The purpose of this blog entry is to create a list of areas where ACNA does not currently have a ministry presence and to connect interested parties. I understand that church planters are mostly (though thankfully not exclusively) drawn to major metropolitan areas and college towns. It is also the case that church planters usually chase population: new churches are much more likely to be planted in a place of population influx than population exodus.

Some of these communities do have vibrant orthodox Episcopal parishes, and that has partly negated the immediate need for an ACNA plant. But many of these places have no such vibrant orthodox presence.

Do you know of a sizeable community without an Anglican parish? Do you see a town on the list below and know of a church planting project that is forming? Please make a note in the comment section below. The ACNA church map can be viewed here: http://www.acna.org/map/

Cities:

Flagstaff, AZ
Redding, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
Oxnard, CA
Tampa, FL (there is an ACNA congregation in Largo across the bay)
Fort Meyers, FL
Springfield, MA
Duluth, MN
Rochester, MN
Great Falls, MT
Fargo, ND
Omaha, NE
Wilmington, NC – [Update: Christ Our Hope Anglican Church has begun worshiping together]
Santa Fe, NM
Bend, OR
Medford, OR
Erie, PA
Charleston, WV – [Update: Hope Church has begun weekly worship]
Spartanburg, SC
Beaumont, TX
Laredo, TX
Amarillo, TX
Tacoma, WA

College Towns:

Morgantown, WV (WVU)
Charlottesville, VA (UVA)
Lawrence, KS (KU)
Pullman, WA-Moscow, ID (WSU, UI) – [Update: Christ the King, Moscow will begin weekly worship in September]
Bozeman, MT (MSU) [Update: a church plant is in the works here]
Champaign, IL (UI)
Huntsville, TX (SHSU)

Canon Dan Alger sat down for an interview with Winfield Bevins from Asbury Seminary to discuss some of the distinctives of Anglican church planting:

42 Responses to Where Anglicans Aren’t

1. VAcogito says:

Charlottesville area has an Anglican Church– All Saints Anglican Church and St. David’s Anglican Church

• Jeffrey Walton says:

I was referring to ACNA congregations (the closest is in Crozet) but yes, please do share if you know of a vibrant continuing church congregation in these places. A link to a web site can also be helpful for those readers seeking more information about these worshiping communities.

2. James Johnson says:

Ft Myers and Cape Coral.

3. High Tory says:

Detroit, Michigan (biggest city in Michigan)
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Midland, Michigan
    Marquette, Michigan (college town)
    Honolulu, Hawaii.
    Traverse City, Michigan (1662/1928 BCP congregation left ACNA in November 2017 for a continuing Anglicans sect because ACNA in Great Lakes region is too happy-clappy)
    Mount Pleasant, Michigan
    Puerto Rico
    Virgin Islands
    Guam
    American Samoa
    Northern Mariana Islands

• Jeffrey Walton says:

There is an REC/ACNA congregation in Detroit: http://marinerschurchofdetroit.org/

Also, a fantastic Anglican congregation in Kailua, HI, just up H3 from Honolulu. They’re starting another church plant on the big island soon.

• Ralinda Gregor says:

I’m not sure folks from Honolulu will drive to Kailua for church. Or vice versa. Maybe on Sunday morning but not at other times. Any current locals have a feel for that?

• I wish that church in Traverse City had joined CANA East like my church in Hillsdale, Michigan did. We were part of a Continuing jurisdiction (tiny and shrinking), and the “happy-clappy” of ADGL didn’t attract, but the broad churchmanship, commitment to historic discipline, and all-male presbyterate of CANA East drew them in. CANA provides a genuine connection to global Anglicanism (with the accompanying fellowship and accountability) without some of the wobblier elements of the certain places within the ACNA.

• M says:

All Saints Anglican Traverse City had a letter dismissive from an ACNA diocese in Colorado that the ACNA Diocese of the Great Lakes never accepted or acknowledged. Multiple communications from the Rector were ignored. Congregation decided that if they didn’t want to communicate with us there was no reason to be affiliated with them. They also scheduled a Bishop’s visit without our knowledge or consent. Very poor administration and communication.

• Jill Clark says:

Thank you for mentioning all those cities in Michigan! I would love to see an ACNA plant near Muskegon. (The last time I took communion was over a year ago while visiting Christ Church, Plano, TX.) I would be willing to help get something started here.

4. Tregonsee says:

Interesting there is nothing in Flagstaff. Several years ago, I was there and attended a wonderful home church service. At the time, a priest came by about once a month for communion, and even a baptism.

5. Michael says:

There is a work in Amarillo, TX. See Diocese of the Southwest.

6. Pittsburgh supported a church plant in Morgantown that met at a Roman chapel right near/on WVU’s Morgantown campus for 5 years. The plant was closed down after heroic efforts for ministry, outreach, discipleship and community relationships didn’t gather a congregation.

7. N. Sensustricto says:

I think they’re all pretty much evangelical convert happy clappy. The Anglo-Catholics have given notice that they are not happy.

• Aaron Wright says:

What would be the danger in being happy and in clapping? Can we clap our hands together and be joyful? And, is it un-catholic to do so, and why?

8. James Simmons says:

There are people in Fargo, ND, who want an ACNA presence.

9. Aaron Wright says:

I can think of no other city that an Anglican Church would explode in more than that of Wichita, KS. It is undeniably primed for such a move. Having lived there for a few years as a pastor in another tradition I am well aware of it’s ethos. It needs one desperately. When that day happens this guy will celebrate.

10. Deacon Rick says:

I am beginning a work in Westminster maryland. I also hope to reach into the southern portions of York and Adams County Pennsylvania. We currently meet bi-weekly on Saturday nights for a Bible study and evening prayer.

• Jeffrey Walton says:

This is good to know, Rick. Does your project have a web site or Facebook page that we can share with others in your area?

11. Josh says:

One place that they are not present is in rural places. I considered joining the ACNA at one time but, after visiting, speaking with priests, and reading about what Anglicans were doing in mission, I decided not to. I am glad that folks like the ACNA are reaching out in mission in urban and college contexts but there is hardly any Anglican presence in suburban and rural contexts.

Also, the snooty references about “happy clappy evangelicals” on this thread make me sick. I guess I understand why Methodists were often scorned by snooty Anglicans back in the day. I think I’ll remain a Methodist.

• Jeffrey Walton says:

Thanks for your note, Josh. My own diocese (the mid-Atlantic) recently launched our first rural plant, Church of the Ascension, in Kearneysville, WV between Charlestown and Martinsburg. The planter is Asbury-educated.
      Take the “snooty” references in comment threads with a grain of salt — some of them are from folks who are outside of ACNA. We all have our aesthetic preferences and the Holy Spirit shapes our hearts through different aspects of worship, meeting us where we are. I myself am a broad church Anglican who attends a low-church parish and appreciates what various parts of the church bring. I am also grateful for our Wesleyan brothers and sisters!

• Josh says:

Thanks for the note. All of the folks that I have met so far have been great people. And I have been pleased to note a lot of charismatic-oriented folks (and bishops!). I am also glad to hear of rural plants.

I may actually end up in the ACNA one day. The UMC is severely lacking in leadership and keeps running in the same old circles. It’s getting old.

12. Church of the Resurrection (ACNA) is getting legs under it in Sioux Falls, SD. Their (present) Deacon will be priested on May 2nd. facebook.com/resurrectionsf/ is their page.

13. John king says:

Pretty much anywhere in Nevada, except Reno and Las Vegas

14. Thomas says:

ACNA, through REC, does have a Missionary District in Cuba. Thats interesting, because I think it will become soon a diocese and will provide an alternative to the liberal Episcopal Church of Cuba. ACNA does have a Puerto Rican-born bishop, Juan Alberto Morales. I wonder if there wasn`t yet a call to start church planing in Puerto Rico. The Episcopal Diocese of Puerto Rico, which is a member of the TEC, is plain liberal.

• Jeffrey Walton says:

I’m somewhat surprised that the handful of Cuban congregations still haven’t appeared on the ACNA church map — my understanding is that they were brought in (via the Anglican Network in Canada) back in 2014.

• Thomas says:

Jeffrey, I can help you on that, because I have read about its history. It was the now extinct Diocese of Western Canada and Alaska of the Reformed Episcopal Church who started church planting in Cuba at request of some cubans, in 2003. The diocese was very small in Canada and was extinct, its now the Convocation of the West and Western Canada at the Diocese of Mid-America. They are not an handfull, they are 20. You can read about the history of the Missionary District of Cuba in here. I am too surprised that they still haven`t appeared in the map of the ACNA congregations. https://rec-canada.com/index.php/cuba/shistory/

15. Michael Fody says:

When I moved to Minnesota from the Diocese of Dallas in 2010– I had remained a member the TEC in Texas as long as (then) Bishop James Stanton did not remit money to Katharine Jefferts Schori’s national “church”– I searched for a ACNA church, and found none. (The MN TEC was then running an avowed “Buddhist” for Bishop!) What to do? I asked my friend and (former) pastor in Richardson, Texas, for advice. He said, “Find a good, conservative Lutheran Church.” (My [cradle Catholic] wife and I have been members of a LCMS congregation for over seven years.)

16. Mark McCarty says:

Holy Cross Anglican Church, Abilene, TX
    which is part of Bishop Iker’s Diocese of Ft Worth, TX

17. Robert Orcutt says:

Fort Myers Florida is listed by name but the map shows no congregations. Same holds for Fredericksburg, Virginia. Both areas are starving for authentic orthodox Christianity.

• Jeffrey Walton says:

That’s because this is a list of places with no ACNA congregations.

• Jeffrey Walton says:

BTW, I’m nudging folks in my diocese to begin conversations about something in Fredericksburg. There was a now-defunct effort for several years that went on “hiatus” two years ago and officially concluded in 2017. Fredericksburg is a perfect spot for a young curate from Falls Church to begin a project. It’s a strategic area: proximate to fast-growing Stafford and Spotsylvania counties, and home to Mary Washington University. There are also a significant number of DC commuters living in Fredericksburg, partly due to the VRE train service.

18. We are currently gathering a team to plant an ACNA church in Redding, CA. If anyone is interested in helping or knows anyone in that area that might be interested, please feel free to let me know.

19. Patricia J. Brewin says:

Is there an address for the very new (under one year) Church plants for both in North America, and abroad eg. the Ireland Church? As part of our considered outreach this information would be appreciated, as perhaps the Lord will endow us in our capacity to support these new beginnings to the Glory of His name.

20. Jeffrey Gillen says:

Greenville, NC

21. Mary Foemmel says:

We transplanted 4 years ago to Kirksville, MO to live near one of our daughters. Kirksville is the home of Truman State University and ATSU, Andrew Taylor Still University an osteopathic medical college. While the major denominations are represented here, the small, Bible churches are predominant. We long for an orthodox witness here so much so that we sometimes make a 150 mile round trip to Quincy, IL to worship at St. John’s (ACNA).

22. Rafael Rodriguez says:

I am starting a church plant in Redding, CA with the Diocese of Churches for the Sake of Others. We’re in our early stages, meeting twice a month for Evening Prayer. My goal is to have weekly services by the fall. My email is Rafaelkytn@gmail.com for anyone interested.

23. Thomas says:

Unlike in the United States, church planting seems to be very difficult in Canada. The number of their parishes has been stationary on 72 in the last years. This happens probably because most theological conservative Anglicans in Canada are still in the Anglican Church of Canada, and also because its a much more secularized society than the United States.